We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Epson D88 Problem

Woolwell
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have a new computer with Win 7 Pro 64 bit and everything is fine apart from the Epson D88. The drivers for it are part of Windows (nothing to download). I installed it and it worked fine initially but for the past 24 hours it refuses to work. I can access the ink levels but cannot print a test page and I get "Operation could not be completed (error 0x000000c1)". I have changed USB port, changed cable, changed powered hub, connected directly to the PC, uninstalled the printer, re-installed and still the same error message comes up. I have set it as the default printer too and that doesn't fix it.

A google search throws up Vista installation problems (installing a printer) but it appears to install without a snag and the properties are ok. Many of the answers point to dubious registry cleaners.

Another real oddity is that it will print the nozzle check but not a document.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

This model whilst seen by windows 7 has no drivers available from Epson for as it is not supported.

You can try installing from CD useing compability mode, or download the Vista drivers from epson use the compability mode to install the driver

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It ran ok at first on the Windows drivers and is listed under the Windows printer when you add a printer. Epson state that the driver is included in Windows. However I'll try the Vista drivers. They worked fine for my scanner which is supposedly not compatible with W7.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It does sound as if the driver does need an update. Have you tried doing this through device manager? According to this Epson site there are drivers available for D88 but am not absolutely sure that this is your machine. There are quite a few blogs that say that this printer is fully compatible with Windows 7 but you will need an updated driver. Should there not be a specific Windows 7 driver then as Woolwell says the Vista driver should be ok.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Vista driver did not work. The D88 is supposed to have the driver built into W7. It did initially work but now fails every time although I can check ink levels and print nozzle checks. I shall now abandon this and connect it to my Vista laptop. It isn't a show stopper as the D88 was my backup printer and was in the process of being retired. It's retirement has now been brought forward.

Like this post  
difarn

Likes # 0

Sometimes we have to admit that something may not work but the error message you are getting is in relation to a driver problem and Epson insist that your printer is Windows 7 compatible.

As a final try, possibly, do you feel like going through it and manually installing a driver from the list populated? If so you need to uninstall the printer completely, again. Disconnect the printer and then re-connect

o manually install a printer driver

Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button  and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

Right-click the printer you want to update, and then click Printer properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click New Driver, and then follow the instructions in the Add Printer Driver wizard.
Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

difarn - I've already done all of that. I think that somehow the driver has become corrupted. A fresh install/repair of windows could cure it but I'm not going to bother with going down that route and possibly cause greater disruption elsewhere.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I don't blame you for not wanting to do a re-install/repair. It does sound like a corrupted registry entry. If you do not already know of CC Cleaner it is well recommended for finding such errors and repairing them. I don't advocate using registry cleaners regularly but only when you suspect a fault. If you did want to do it this is the download. I would recommend doing the light scan and saying yes to backing up.

If you don't know this tool already it is very useful for clearing out all elements of programmes left behind by an uninstall and for a general tidy up without a registry scan.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I ran CCleaner before my original post.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps Should have mentioned that I did that.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Thanks for letting me know - some things are not meant to be.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......