We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

word docs on slave drive (xp) will not print in win 7

verbascum

Likes # 0

New win 7 pc, had old HD fitted as slave drive, can see & move photos across but wife christmas card mail list (all I really need from old docs) will not view/move/print. If they can be moved there does not seem to be a labels template in win 7 word pad. surely the designers should have expected home premium user to want to write a few labels once a year!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There may be a problem with permissions for some reason -

Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears). Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

It is possible for you to create labels in Word if you have it in the "Mailings" tab. If you don't have Word then you could use Open Office which is freeware.

Like this post
verbascum

Likes # 0

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I tried your sequence of prompts but in my win 7 home premium edition they did not come up in quite the same order so I did not get a result. Nor did i find a "mailings" tab

My pc supplier said Office 2000 would work if I still had the original discs. I found them, put in disc 1 & it did install but when I try to open it it asks me for a 25 character number found on the Yellow sticker on the jewel box. Needless to say I do not have the jewel case as my pc supplier in year 2000 put all the discs in a custom box with no jewel cases! I tried putting in the 25 character number printed on the office 2000 cd but it said it was invalid. So i guess all is lost now & I probably have to try your suggestion of open office freeware. Thanks again

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think I can help - download Belarc Advisor which gives details of software you have on your pc - including the relevant product keys - very useful bit of kit.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just been looking a bit deeper and found this....worth a try.

Click Start, click Run, type the following command line in the Run dialog box, and then

click OK:

drive:\setup.exe /L*V C:\install.txt PIDKEY=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /qb

In this example, drive is the letter of the CD drive that contains the Office

installation disc, and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is your Office CD key. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete the installation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home