We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Emachines Laptop Hibernation Problem?

Clinton78

Likes # 0

Hi guy's, my father bought his first computer about a year and 1 month ago. He is still learning how to use them. He has a Windows 7, Emachines G640 laptop. About a week ago he told me that the laptop will not come on and he asked if I could have a look at it. I asked him what he had been doing with it at the time and he just said that he was using it to surf the net and when he finished he put it into hibernation because he wanted to use it again soon after and did not want to wait for it to start up again from a full shut down (it appears that he used this function quite often). When he tried to wake the laptop from hibernation nothing happened the screen is blank but the fan seems to start up when you press the power on button. At first I thought that the screen could be busted so I plugged in a spare external monitor (Dell) that I had and it displayed the following message: In power save mode press any key to continue. Now this got me thinking that it may just be asleep so I started investigating on the net and discovered that other people have had the same problems with the hibernation function. It appears that their laptops fail to wake up and their screen and keyboard do not work but the fans inside start up. They explained that simply restarting in BIOS managed to solve the problem for the time being and they didn't use the hibernation function after that so the problem would not reoccur. I have tried all of these suggestions but seeing as the keyboard remains asleep I am unable to activate the specific Emachines button on the keyboard to boot into the BIOS when I restart. Unfortunately he does not own a boot disc as the laptop came with the software on a small partition on the hardrive instead of on disc. I have tried plugging in 2 other different external monitors and one (another Dell) displays the exact same message as the first monitor: In power save mode press any key to continue. And the 3rd (HP) just automatically go's into standby mode displaying no message. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do. Unfortunately the laptop is 1 month out of warranty so no way of replacing it. I am mainly Apple based so my knowledge is limited with Windows machines and I don't know what to do next to help solve the problem. My father has said that it's ok to wipe the laptop if need be to fix the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Clint :-)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Is the laptop fully charged? If not do this as a first step.

Have you tried pressing the power-on button and holding it on for 30 seconds?

Have you tried holding down Fn and 8 keys?

Try powering up the machine will tapping the F2 key - a menu should pop up - go to power management and set to default.

If no luck try a hard reset

Disconnect the power lead from laptop and power socket- remove the battery - press the power button for 30 seconds -plug the power lead back in - press the power button - it should re-boot and power off and then restart - replace the battery.

If this is successful you need to have a look at the power settings.

Like this post
Clinton78

Likes # 0

Hi Difarn, thank you for your reply. I have tried your suggestions and also the hard reset and the laptop is still unresponsive. It did nothing after the hard reset except when I pressed the power on button, the button lit up and also the little blue light with a lit light bulb marking switched on and the fan powered up. (which is what it has been doing all along). Does this mean the machine is totally busted?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

No not necessarily.

Sometimes laptops wake up by pressing either the delete key or the escape key.

You have tried F2 and F8 - try F10.

On any of the top row of keys is there a hibernation/sleep button - sometimes a crescent moon? Sometimes Fn + this button (on some it is Fn +4)

Have you tried powering up then down several times in quick succession - holding your finger on the button for a few seconds until you hear a "ping" then waiting 5 or 10 minutes and keep your finger pressed on the "power on" button for 30 seconds?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just found a generic user guide for E-machine laptops which gives the hotkeys:-

Hotkeys

The computer employs hotkeys or key combinations to access most of thecomputer's controls like screen brightness, volume output and the BIOS utility.To activate hotkeys, press and hold the Fn key before pressing the other keyin the hotkey combination.

Hotkey IconFunction Description

Fn + F4 Sleep Puts the computer in Sleep mode.

Fn + F5Display toggle Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.

Fn + F6Screen blank Turns the display screen backlight off to save power. Press any key to return.

Fn + F7 Touchpad toggle Turns the internal touchpad on and off.

Fn + F8 Speaker toggle Turns the speakers on and off.

Don't suppose just the monitor is switched off - Fn +f6 - although it says to press any key to return.

Or has been switched to display on second monitor - to return press FN + F5

Here is the manual.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...