We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't set up Parental Controls

poacher100

Likes # 0

My grandson is using my HP laptop, with Windows 7 64 bit. I am trying to set up Parental Controls and have set up a standard user account for him. However, there is no pane for the User Controls when I click on his account in Control Panel>User Accounts and Family Safety>Parental Controls, it tries to set up Windows Family Safety instead (and fails). I presume I need to set up parental controls first, so does anyone know how I can make it access the User Controls? I can't find any help, especially not on Microsoft sites which merely presume that you can access the controls.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Did you first of all go

Start - Control Panel - User Account and Family Safety - Click on set up Parental Controls for any user

Then

Click on the user account you want to set controls for under Parental Controls click on, enforce current settings.

Once this is done you can then set the controls you want.

Don't know if you went straight into user account instead of User Account and Family Safety

Like this post
poacher100

Likes # 0

Yes I did follow that route, but there is no option to enforce current settings, and selecting the child's account only defaults to Windows Family Safety, which starts loading, and carries on, and on, and on....

Like this post
poacher100

Likes # 0

I've just gone onto my other laptop, also HP + Windows 7 64bit. I created an account for my grandson and tried to apply Parental Controls, but again there is no option to enforce current settings or otherwise access the User Controls. It just goes to the Windows Family Safety login screen, as on the other machine.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Are you by any chance running Windows 7 64 bit Business Edition? If so there is no Parental Control Option.

Try this

When you go into Control Panel, at the top, after the words "Control Panel" you will see an arrow - click on this

The top item should be "All Control Panel Items"

Click on this - navigate to "Parental Controls" - (9th down in 3rd column)

Then go into the user account and see if it works this way.

Like this post
poacher100

Likes # 0

The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. I've tried your alternative route, but unfortunately like everything else I've tried, the result of clicking on the relevant User Account is the default loading of the Windows Family Safety logon screen. When I log in, it says it is setting up Family Safety, but never gets to the end!

I wonder if uninstalling Windows Family Safety (presumably installed with Windows Live Essentials 2011) would do the trick???

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

That would have been my next bit of advice - uninstall and then reinstall Windows Live Essentials from here.

Like this post
poacher100

Likes # 0

Problem solved! Uninstalling Family Safety allowed access to the User Controls. Why did I think it wouldn't be another Microsoft programme causing the problem?!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good news - incredible how programmes effect different computers in differing ways isn't it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room