We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot print documents

The Bard

Likes # 0

I have sent several documents which the recepient can open, but not print - they appear to be protected in some way. I have checked in 'Tools' but not protected and all settings appear to be the same as the only document that can be printed. I have Windows 7 Premium and Office XP.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I am assuming you mean Word documents?

Did your recipient save the documents first and then try to print them from within Word? Has this person then tried to open them with another version of Word, say 97 - 2003?

Do you have the same problem when sending documents to anyone else?

As a last resort can your recipient copy and paste onto a Word document and print from there?

Like this post
The Bard

Likes # 0

Yes, Word from Office XP. I have sent to colleague to check and neither can print off email attachment. Cut and paste and using 'Paint' etc do not work. I sent 5 documents altogether, one was OK but not the others. All exactly the same format with same properties and security settings.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This is puzzling.

I don't know if you used track changes when you were compiling your documents. If you did open up the documents and turn off track changes (Review - Tracking - click on Track changes). When you have done this re-save the documents and then re-send.

Did you know that you don't have to send word documents as an attachment - you can in fact send them as an e-mail?

To do this right click on the saved document - click on send to - mail recipient and it should take you to your e-mail client and all you have to do is to enter the contact name(s).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

difarn - but it then goes as an attachment to an e-mail!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes I didn't explain clearly - it just saves the nuisance of having to open up your e-mail client to send it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You still have to open your e-mail client for it go as otherwise it remains in your outbox until the client is opened. It doesn't work with webmail of course.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

When I right click on a document and onto "send to" and then "mail recipient" it automatically opens up my default e-mail client - all I have to do is to put in the contact name.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It only opens the create e-mail page not the full e-mail client and it remains in the outbox until the full e-mail client is opened.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

In my case it opens the create e-mail page with the attachment already there and the title of the document inserted. I then just press send and off it goes. Depends on your set up I suppose.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"I then just press send and off it goes". It goes to the outbox and is only sent if the e-mail client is open. If the e-mail client is closed it remains in the outbox. Try it. We're hijacking this thread.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer