We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 not detecting monitor using VGA input

PCOddvisor

Likes # 0

Hello

My new PC with windows 7 won't detect my old Acer v243w monitor. I was hoping to use dual monitors, with this monitor connected via vga into the motherboard and my other monitor connected by DVI into the graphics card. The graphics card I am using is a Radeon HD6870. It has DVI slots and an HDMI slot but no VGA slot.

Even when the Acer is plugged into the motherboard by itself using VGA it does not get detected then either.

How can I solve this problem?

Is it simply a case of getting a lead which will convert my VGA lead from the Acer monitor into a DVI output which I can then plug into the graphics card?

Or perhaps there is a way of enabling VGA support, maybe via the graphics card or something? It seems odd to have a VGA socket in the motherboard if it is not going to work.

I don't know much about these things.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You don't say which motherboard you have but most of them with on-board graphics have this output automatically disconnected in the BIOS when another graphics card is used in the PCIe or AGP slot. You might try going into the BIOS to see if you change the setting to allow both outputs to be used.

Like this post
PCOddvisor

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply!

The motherboard I am using is a P8Z68-VLX.

I will have a try looking at the BIOS, whatever that is :)

Assuming I am unsuccessful with this would buying a VGA-DVI lead to plug into the graphics card work?

Thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Are you connecting your secondary monitor to the same graphics card as your main one?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have downloaded your motherboard manual from Click Here and if you go to the section about the BIOS you will see that you need to go to the Advanced Tab, then click on >Onboard Devices Config. Section 2.5.2 of the manual under System Agent Configuration will tell you that to enable multiple monitors you need to change the iGPU setting from the default Disabled to Enabled, then you should be able to use the VGA output from the onboard graphics at the same time as the DVI/HDMI output from your graphics card.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You can use the method proposed by chub_tor or get a VGA to DVI converter, something like this: Convert. I have a similar setup with my Sapphire 6870.I have my main monitor connected to the HDMI port and my secondary to the one of the DVI slots via a converter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad