We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

avg problem installing

ajs160n

Likes # 0

I can download avg free ok---I save it --double click and I see it unzip from its file and that is where it ends--the wizard or nothing else for that matter appears--any ideas please

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You will need to right click on the install file and then click run. If this does not work uninstall it and reinstall. When the download notification comes up right click on it and then click on run if it lets you.

Like this post
ajs160n

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply--have done this a number of times and right clicked on run as administrator after which it unzips the file and then it all stops.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Did you use the AVG uninstaller - if not try this link

Do you have any other security software running that may be causing a conflict?

When you reinstall try downloading it from here - be wary that you do not enable any toolbars you do not want - if you get the option to download to desktop accept this - then right click on it and click on run/install.

Like this post
ajs160n

Likes # 0

Thank you difarn--have just used that removal tool and hey presto it all seems to be working--many thanks.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good news - it is a very good piece of free software. Glad to have helped.

Like this post
ajs160n

Likes # 0

Hello again---sorry to be a pain but much to my amazement avg free has completely disappeared apparently of its own accord--nowhere to be found on the computer. I have gone back to avast but would love to know where its gone.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This is amazing - I have just found this article saying that in Vista you should disable the User Account Control when trying to download AVG free as this can prevent it from loading correctly - this causes it to disappear - if you feel like doing it there are several different options.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Personally, I stick to Avast or MSE - they don't seem to slow things down as much as AVG.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite