We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem - wireless HP printer installation

tamsin

Likes # 0

I am running WIN7 64 Bit, BT wireless hub. Have added a laptop (also running WIN7 64 bit) to home network and set up HP Photosmart Premium 309g printer as 'wireless'. It works a treat with the laptop but my desktop computer tells me the printer is off line. I have run theeh trouble shooter and not come up with an answer. Can anyone help me please?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 1

Have you set the printer to go into sleep mode when not in use?

I had this printer last year on a Win7 64 bit OS, if the printer went into sleep mode it would loose the connection with the computer, If sleep mode was switch off I had no problems. HP was going to look into this but never got back to me and I never found an answer.

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Thanks Brynit. Have now got printer working on my desktop as well as laptop. Never gave the sleep mode a thought. HP help is not very good for printers is it.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried this? :-

Go to control panel and click on Devices and printers. Choose Add a printer and then select Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next. A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \computer name\printer name . Type your computer name and the printer name(\PC\printer name) Click on ok and exit.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Just for curiosity as I do not have this printer any more I decided to see if there was a fix and allow the sleep mode to be re enabled, its something you could try?

From the HP help forum Wi-Fi Guy has mad a couple of suggestions 1 Click here 2 Click here bothe may solve the problem but I think the second link may be the easiest to follow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...