We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant install VISTA on 2 TB HD

bren_carroll

Likes # 0

I have a Dell Dimension 9200, with 2 250GB SATA hard drives, Windows Vista Ultimate. I recently purchased a WD 2 TB hard drive. My plan was to fit the new hard drive and install vista, leaving my old installation intact, having the option to boot to my old installation if needed. The new drive was split 200GB for Vista, 200GB for progams, the rest for data. Vista installed no problem but when I installed SP1 it failed to reboot. I made a slipstream installation for SP1 with my Vista DVD. When I try the slipstream installation I get the following: "Setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware". I have used my Slipstream installation on a smaller HD (80GB) it worked and I was able to update to SP2. I have reformated the 2TB drive, tried several times to install with no luck. I am just about to give up on this. Thanks in advance for any help. BC

Like this post
bren_carroll

Likes # 0

Response from WD...

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Niklas P.

The CD that comes with your Dell is most likely an OEM CD. This means it will only be able to be installed on the computer hardware that initially came with the computer. This is to prevent that multiple copies of the same Windows will be installed on several computers, as the OEM CD is designed to only work for that specific computer you purchased.

In case you change any of the components on the computer, you might not be able to install Windows as this is a license agreement between Dell and Microsoft. We can not assist you with this unfortunately.

There could also be an incompatibility issue, but Dell would be able to diagnose this for you by comparing the specifications of the WD drive and your motherboard.

Please contact Dell for further support on how to proceed with installing Windows. If the CD you are using is a retail CD that you purchased, please contact Microsoft for support.

I know this is not the case, as I have a second hand maxtor 80gb and my OEM CD installs on that no problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I found a comment in a blog that by a poster who had a vista 64 bit OEM not being recognised by his WD hard drive - he connected his WD hard drive by usb lead directly to the motherboard and it was instantly recognised he said - this article explains how you can do this.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just a query - did you load the SATA drivers for the WD hard drive?

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite