We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 advice for boosting Ram

bpzoom
Resolved

Likes # 0

The flyer that came with this month's PCA included a tip to utilise a blank USB flash drive for virtual memory. When I go to Properties/ReadyBoost on the USB drive, it says "This device cannot be used by ReadyBoost" Then it says "ReadyBoost is not enabled because the service responsible for ReadyBoost (Sysmain) has been turned off on this computer. An administrator can turn the Sysmain service back on" When I searched, including Microsoft website, there is no recognition of the term Sysmain. Can anyone please advise. Windows 7 64 bit Dell PC

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Microsoft Answers Click Here

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This can happen if tweaks have been made to change the start-up procedure.

Very similar to the advice in the above article but may be simpler to follow:-

click on Start and type in services Right-click the Services item with the cog/gear icon next to it and run as administrator.

Scroll down to Superfetch. Right-click > properties > Startup type: Automatic > Apply > OK

Go back to the command prompt and type net start sysmain. The service should start successfully.

Like this post
bpzoom

Likes # 0

Thank you both. Unfortunately, following your paths both solutions, the startup type is already switched to automatic. For some reason the sysmain system will not operate.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Did you try a registry "fix" - see article attached.

I am wondering if you have missing or damaged system files? Have a look at this article in respect of ready boost.

Like this post
bpzoom

Likes # 0

I have gone through the two routes sfc /scannow, nothing found, and I have edited the registry to give permission over Sysmain to owner user. I already have it as administrator, no effect, it still will not work. I have changed the flash drive for another, same result.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

When you tried to enable superfetch did you see anywhere where you could "Turn off the option "Tune Windows for speed" in the "Optimization" to enable superfetch"

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just come across this in a very large blog:-

"I have had the same problem with ready boost. I copied everything in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder into a new folder on my desktop, then deleted everything in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder. rebooted and Ready boost is now working on my machine."

Like this post  
bpzoom

Likes # 0

difarn, Brilliant, thank you! That blog advice worked a treat. I have no idea why but there it is working on the flash drive. Thanks again and to the others who have replied.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Excellent news - glad to have been able to help - have learned something along the way too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room