We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 on SSD

Petepops

Likes # 0

I want to install 7 on a SSD as my OS and use my current HDD for programme storage all of which have been loaded under XP. Under this arrangement will the windows 7 OS on the SSD be able to use these programmes on the HDD?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

The short answer is "Yes".

However if you want to run the programmes on the HDD you will have to Image the SSD from the OS disk you are using now.

If you are doing a clean install of Win7 then the answer is "No" because, while Win7 will see your programmes, the registry has no record of them being installed. The only way round is to reinstall all the programmes making sure that you use the same folders, which should keep all your data intact.

You might be better off, and safer, copying all your data (photos, docs etc.) onto a flash drive before before going any further. You can copy it all back later.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

On blogs I have read Windows 7 SSD holds swap file, hibernate file, etc., and all installed programs, and the HDD holds files, documents, videos, pictures, etc. - no specific answer is given your query but maybe this is intimated by the way they are configured.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It will be necessary to reinstall all your program's following a clean install of Windows 7 on an SSD. I have a OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD on which I have installed Windows 7 and about 50 program's with about 15-16GB still free,everything else is stored on the secondary 500GB HDD including my rather large Steam games folder which is close to a 100GB in size. Should I reinstall Windows then it's a simple matter,in the case of my games to repair the Steam installation,which means that I do not have to spend hours reinstalling my games.

When you have installed Windows 7 it is a simple process to move your main My folders to your secondary drive insuring that the SSD is not filled up with all your personal stuff.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...