We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Reinstall after upgrade

sol_sun_ftm

Likes # 0

I bought an Acer Travelmate with Vista installed and received a free upgrade to Windows 7. May laptop has a problem that requires a reinstall of windows however my update disk is scratched. Can I use any windows 7 home premium disk and my key or do I need to reinstall vista and obtain a new upgrade disk. TIA

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you read the attached article you will see that it is possible to use your present key and another disk.

Like this post
sol_sun_ftm

Likes # 0

Tried it. When it came to input key it would not accept it and setup closed down

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

As it is an upgrade did you re-load vista and then upgrade again to Windows 7?

Have a look at this Windows article

Like this post
sol_sun_ftm

Likes # 0

No I don't have a copy of vista so used a friends copy of W7 home premium with my key.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You could try not choosing to activate the product - leave the box unchecked, and then activate the product on line - as per this article.

Like this post
sol_sun_ftm

Likes # 0

Ended up getting a copy of the upgrade from an acquaintance. Used that with my code Bit of a pain to be honest can't see why you can't just install the version of windows and use the upgrade key.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think that it is more straightforward (although not easy) to do just a straightforward upgrade - it is complicated if you have to reinstall the upgrade for some reason and don't have access to the original version. I don't think Microsoft have explained things very clearly about their upgrades as lots of people are having varying degrees of difficulty.

I agree with you about the easy option would be to just have installed the new version of windows with the upgrade key - some marketing ploy perhaps because an upgrade is cheaper.

I am assuming everything is working ok now - if so could you please turn the grey tick to a green one so other readers who may be having the same problem may be able to more easily find a solution.

Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen