We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista trying to purchase full Disc

MIKE.

Likes # 0

I am trying to purchase a full copy of Windows Vista home premium, Microsoft say on their website they do not sell Vista Disc's any more.I have looked on Ebay and Amazon they only seem to have upgrades. To be honest I do not trust most sites I see on line. I really need a full version as I want to do a repair does anyone have any ideas I hope.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

I believe that ive seen full version on Amazon recently.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Had a quick look on Amazon and it says that they do the full version.

If your PC came with Vista installed it may be that a recover partition has been created. Have a look at this article - it may have the answer.

Like this post
MIKE.

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys for all your help.I really do not want to go back to factory settings with lost data etc. What has happened I did a microsoft update about a month ago and the PC goes to close down to finish the update then hangs.I close the PC down manualy which tells me on reboot windows did not close correctly and to start windows normaly and we end in a cycle. The full Vista disc would allow me to do a windows repair and not have to reload windows. Again thanks!!!!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

When you go to the partition you are given options to either do a complete restore to factory settings or do a repair and save data. Have a look at this article which gives a link to a site where you may be able to download a repair disk - although I have not done this. I have actually seen this site mentioned in several blogs.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Sorry - forgot the link - here it is.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Another option is to borrow one and use your own product number. If you do not know this you could download a programme called BELARC where you will see all of the software licences you have on your PC. Make sure you just download the free one - as usual be careful that you uncheck any boxes to install toolbars etc you do not need.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

You can obtain a full version of Vista free from here

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

This is an offical microsoft download site only some versions of Vista are available.so ensure you get the correct one.

Your preloaded version was no doubt OEM so its unlikeley your product key will work on a clean install

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you're having trouble with update, have you installed rapport Trusteer from your bank? I've now seen 5 Vista machines where this prog was screwing the updates in various ways. If you have, i suggest you uninstall it and try again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen