We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems connecting with Atheros Adapter

lju00dt

Likes # 0

hi - i recently moved home and got virgin broadband installed. The wireless network worked fine for the Ipad, iphone and netbook we have, but my Acer Aspire Laptop would not connect through wireless (but does work fine through a cable).

I used the same pc with a belkin modem in the old house without any problems.

Virgin tech support told me to update the atheros communications driver - which i did. I disabled the old one and got a new driver/update from their website but I still cannot connect through wireless. The same error about the DNS not working keeps coming up.

I'm not a techy so any explanations or help in laymans terms please!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Try this as a start.

Go to the properties on your wireless adapter. Click Start>> type in Device Manager in the Start Search >> expand the Network Adapters in the Device Manager >> right click the Network Adapter >>

In the "This connection uses the following items" box, uncheck the internet protocol version6 (tcp/ipv6) box. Most routers don't support this protocol.

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Reboot the router to default settings. Double check the correct details for the wireless network key and security protolcol (WEP/WPA2) etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......