We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mouse Intrusions

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I'm running Win7 on an Acer Aspire Laptop and getting ever more frustrated by the wretched window boxes that pop-up when the mouse curser goes across a page. Those nuisance boxes stop you looking at what's on the screen - and they don't always go away either! Is there any way I can turn them off please?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"boxes that pop-up when the mouse curser goes across a page"

Do you mean the 'skimlink' adverts on a webpage/forum?

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

I don't know what they are called - but a good example is an Ebay page where photos and details pop-up if the curser passes over the title. Even the Menu Bar on this page does it (News, Reviews, How To ..... etc above).

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

jimforrest

This sounds like a wind-up, but in case it isn't the pop-up boxes which you are referring to contain links to various information that the heading implies. No you can't turn them off, but what you can do is keep a greater control of your mouse and don't allow it to roam about the screen. If the pointer doesn't hover over the headings in the first place then the pop-up's wouldn't pop-up!

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

It certainly isn't a wind-up Graphi. The menu bar was not a good example really. Go into Ebay and scroll down the items you've searched for. Because you are using the wheel to scroll the actual curser isn't used - but if it's in the wrong place all kinds of information boxes pop-up and obscure the list that you are trying to read. Even as you move the curser to click on an item, as it passes over a different item a box often pops up. I just find it annoying. If I want the details of something I'll click on it! Web pages also do the same. Certain words (obviously link) are scattered throughout the page (in blue), and you have to navigate round them to avoid their boxes popping up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sorry jimforrest, but that's normal and the same for everyone, though you can use AdBlockPlus (for Firefox) to cut down the skimlinks and some of the adverts.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Ok Lotvic - looks like I'll have to live with them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes