We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 & Windows Live Mail or Windows Mail ?

Audio~~Chip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello

Last time I installed 7 on my machine I downloaded Windows Mail which was bearable. then with this new machine with Windows 7 64bit, I downloaded Windows Mail which ended up being Live Mail!

Not happy with all the extra toolbar options at the top of the Live mail Programme. What happend to Windows Mail has it been replaced or am i missing the download for the non Live mail version ?

I know Outlook Express doesn't run on 7 64bit or I would have that.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

Microsoft has caused a great deal of confusion with Hotmail, Live Hotmail, Windows Mail and now Windows Live Mail. Windows Mail has indeed been replaced by Windows Live Mail and support for Windows Mail has been discontinued - have a look at this article, it may explain it in a bit more depth and offer alternatives if you are seeking them.

You mention the extra toolbar options. I don't have any of these. Perhaps it is something that is included when you download Windows Live Mail with Internet Explorer or perhaps there were options not to install them - can't remember now. I use Firefox.

Like this post  
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Maybe you could try Mozilla Thunderbird for email instead. Many prefer it.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

I use Thunderbird to collect all of my e-mail accounts without any problems. However, I also do use my Windows Live Mail Account as it is very handy having something that is accessible wherever you are in the world. I must say I have not had any problems with it, so far but I do make a point of clearing out my inbox and sent items very regularly - anything important I put onto my PC in a word document, or whatever. The one positive point about Windows Live Mail is that there is a back up of your contact list "in the cloud".

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn & ibanez2010 !

Its another unwanted change then by Microsoft, layout it ugly. I got the option when installing to tick what I wanted and just selected Live Mail nothing else. I will read that article you point me to later tonight when I manage to get 5mins to myself (I hope)

Thank you to both or you and wish you a Big Happy Merry Christmas !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers