We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista older pc slow start up

gazzaboy20

Likes # 0

My older pc is really slow to start up and after about 15mins runs normally. It runs Vista and has 2gb memory. I know it is about 5/6 years sold but is there any good programs that will speed it up. I have AVG free antivirus and for some reason the windows security centre cant be started when i try to activate it on ? any help would be appreciated guys.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The first thing to do is a bit of housekeeping.

Update all drivers - go into Devices Manager to do this Update your updates Clear out browsing history and temporary internet files - download CC Cleaner and (1) Go into "Cleaner" and do a general clean (2) Go into "Tools" and see if there are any old programmes that are not wanted Do you have the AVG Free 2012 edition? Try uninstalling old editions of Java and installing the latest version Do you have a printer plugged into a usb port? If so try unplugging it to see if there is any effect.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

In CCleaner tools, cut down the number of progs that startup automatically. Remove AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Like this post
gazzaboy20

Likes # 0

yeah thanks have downloaded ccleaner and its working better already. I already had a program called ncleaner as well.How do i update drivers ??

Like this post
gazzaboy20

Likes # 0

yeah guys i have downloaded ccleaner and ran it. Its working better already.Already had a program called ncleaner aswell. So how do i update drivers ??

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Go into Device Manager - Start - Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Device Manager

There you will see all of your PC components listed. You need to double click on each of these to open each category - this expands the lists. You then right click on each item and you will see the option to update drivers. You will then be given options of - search for drivers on the internet/search this computer for drivers - go for the internet option.

If you have Windows updates enabled drivers are automatically updated.

Like this post
alexpjhone

Likes # 0

Hi, Do you checked the programs at start up, these also cause for slow system boot up or start up. 1)Go to start>run>msconfig, and then choose the programs you do not want to start when window starts up. This will also increase your pc performance. 2) once you have registered avg installed then you might not need of window security essentials.This may also increase your startup.

For more info you can have this info also and then let us know. enter link description here

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

For a PC thatt old I would suggest a reinstall of the system files. Also an increase in RAM would help somewhat and software would run faster. You do not say if you have a vista disc or a Factory Image on an otherpartition. Check the Bios screen on boot up to find out how to access the Image file and if you didn't make copy when you first bought the PC make some discs for future use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September