We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow boot up

FishLover

Likes # 0

Hello everyone,

My laptop has been having extremely slow boot up mainly at the "Starting Windows" screen.Can somebody give me some reasons? Thanks.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

How many anti-virus software installations do you have? It could be a conflict between them if you set them to start together.

What Performance Plan are you using?

Double Click Power Options in Control Panel. Click the arrow to show "Additional Plans" to reveal the High Performance Power Plan. Choose this.

For a start see if either of the above help.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I have found this http://www.soluto.com/ very helpful.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on, e.g. an antivirus program, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). The problem is sometimes shown on this screen, although you may have to click Advanced tools in the left pane then View performance details in the Event log.

If the problem isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy and paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy and Paste the command, use mouse right-click to paste it into the prompt. Close the Command Prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 100 series are start up events and there may be a name or reason in the event listing.

Like this post
FishLover

Likes # 0

I will gave it a try. Thanks.

Like this post
Gooroo

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data