We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Window7 Anti Virus

Maczed

Likes # 0

I've just bought a Windows 7 computer and have loaded Norton 360, which I had already bought for my old XP machine. Is this OK to run with the pre-loaded Windows 7 anti-virus program? If not, is it possible to delete the Windows one? I would prefer to keep Norton.

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Get rid of Norton and keep the Windows 7 built in one! It's perfectly good, less bloat than Norton and less likely to slow your pc down.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I have used Norton for many, many years and found it to be very reliable - I don't use the 360 but Norton 2011 presently, soon to be updated to 2012 - it is much less bloated than in previous years. I know of many people who successfully use Norton 360 with no problems.

Norton usually manages the inbuilt security so you don't have to do anything. From my experiences I favour keeping Norton.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I install microsoft security essentials on all all the PCs I biuld now ,unless asked otherwise ,for windows 7 its particularly good ,it intergrates with existing windows security seamlessly with much less bloat ,and with no noticeable slowdawn. A friend of mine who i recently biult a new PC for has allways used norton (since before the semantic) days , and he recenlty asked me to uninstall his norton 360 ,he said it was the worse yet , he got fed up of legit programs and processes being blocked . he has security essentials now and i have had no complaints .

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

With all the advice about making sure that your PC is adequately protected most people feel that they have to use additional security. I quite agree with what is said about Microsoft Security Essentials, but there is always the doubt.

I suppose it is a matter of choice - I do know that a friend of mine had Norton 360 installed and found it to be unsatisfactory - Norton 2011 however has been fine. All the time I have used Norton - for many, many, years, it has never blocked legitimate programmes and processes - luckily for me.

Like this post
Maczed

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the helpful responses. On balance Windows seems to be the preferred antivirus tool, but I still like Norton 360. Will I have a problem if I run them both together?

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Yes you will. Never run 2 realtime antivirus products together. They will conflict with each other and cause problems. I have Microsoft security essentials running in the background all the time, and also have MalwareBytes antimalware and Superantispyware that I can run a scan once a week manually. Nothing has ever been found in over a year now with all three scanners.

Like this post
Maczed

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. I think I'll have to follow Ibanex2010 advice and give Norton 360 the chop!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home