We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice & Help Installing 7 64bit on new Samsung 1TB HDD

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello Nearly got all my new build together & ready to install 7 Home Premium 64bit, on a I5 2400, 8GB DDRII.

The Samsung HDD is 1TB should/can the windows be installed as a single C drive partition or would it be best to partition it. Ideally I wanted all the C drive in one place. Not sure what to do, ideally do not want a redundant partition.

Thanks in advance

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 1

Sorry about the delay of someone responding to your query. If you haven't already done it by now, no you don't have to or need to partition any HD. I have Windows 7 32bit with a 500GB internal HD, not partitioned and 4 external HD's of which they are 1TB - 500GB - and 2x250GB. None are partitioned. Of the two 250GB drives one is a backup drive for the PC. The other is a Virtual Drive for Windows XP.

However, I don't recommend you carry all your eggs in one basket. I don't know what you use your PC for. But i mainly use mine for art, editing photo's and storage. All my work is contained on the other two external drives. The TB HD and the 500GB external HD. I keep the same material/data on both.

No doubt someone else will tell you something completely different. But at the end of the day the choice is your's. Hope this helps with your decision.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks Graphicool1 !

Really greatfull for you reply. I use mine for Aircraft Databases & photos. The way I see it even if having a partition and storing them on that if the HDD failed they would still go AWOL. Having a second HDD sounds a safer bet like your configuration.

Thanks for the reply !

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I would add one proviso to your idea. If your PC is stolen then everything will be lost, regardless of how many HDDs you have.

I bought a 64GB flash drive copy store my photos and important data to that. It is stored completely seperately so that, if my PC is stolen, my private data is safe.

A PC can be replaced - vital data can't.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi ams4127

If you'd like to run your eye over my response to 'Audio~~Chip' you will see in the second paragraph...

"All my work is contained on the other two external drives."

...I don't keep any of my work/data on my PC. It's all on external drives and that was my recommendation.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

I did see your post concerning your external HDDs and fully appreciate what you say.

I, too, have a couple of external HDDs but I don't disconnect them and take them with me when I go on holiday. I do put them elsewhere in the house while away but take my flash drive with me.

It is not unknown for a house to be destroyed by fire during the owner's absence.

I know that what I do is overkill but it works for me.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I would, personally, have a smaller HDD for the C: drive and install programs to the 1TB drive, so if Windows becomes corrupted and needs a fresh install, then at least your programs etc.are safe. Use another external HDD or Flash drive, or both, for further backups.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I learn't my lesson about having back-ups, the hard way. I lost two HD's to heat, on seperate occasions. I was lucky, only in the fact that the first time it was only the OS and the second time, although it contained my work I had made a back-up first.

I whole heartedly agree with have as many back-ups as is humanly and financially possible. Keeping some in different places, as suggested by ams4127 and on a flash drive as suggested by rdave13.

Because what we must remember is that nothing is infallible and while Iost HD's to heat I've also lost Flash Drives to malfunction.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone