We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All icons have converted to Microsoft word

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@)

Likes # 0

This is a real problem.

I sorted my desktop, and put the desktop shortcuts (Microsof Word, Excel, outlook etc...), onto task bar (next to start button) however I have come back to PC and they have all seemingly have converted to Microsoft word. When I open start menu, all my recent programs have again converted to word.

When I have opened any of these a word document opens, a load of gobbildygook, as well as can not open in dos mode.

I have managed to cercumnavigate word and excel, by opening one of my exixting files starting a new document and saving this to desktop, but can only do this with paint, word, and excel.lol

I really hope someone has the answer to this one as it means I have to go through to C drive everytime I want to open anything.

Over to you and thanks....:@)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You don't say which version of Office you have - have a look at this about Repair to see if it helps.

Like this post

Likes # 0

hi again I have tried above, but again all programms seem to be listed as word documents. I have got as far as Microsoft office, tools but all files listed are word documents, and no diagnostics icon. I am running Office 2010

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I am wondering whether the "Open with" permissions have somehow been change or corrupted due to an update - have a look at this article, it may help.

Like this post

Likes # 0

This problem gets weirder, but I think someone should now have the asnsewr to what is going on (even if it is unresolvable).

I did what difarn suggested "I am wondering whether the "Open with" permissions have somehow been change or corrupted due to an update"

I right clicked exporer (that had a word icon), and changed default to open with explorer....HOWEVER everything then changed to explorer?????

Did the same say with excel and all icons changed to excel.....

Over to you :)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried this?

Right clicking on a saved word document and select "Open with Microsoft Word"

Go to microsoft office-- microsoft office tools-- microsoft office picture manager-- help-- detect and repair-- check restore my shortcuts while repairing.

This should restore all the microsoft office shortcuts and icons

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite