We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade to 64 bit.

Linkslade
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a Medion laptop 32bit using 3g ram with the option via a CD to upgrade to 64 bit and utilise an extra 1 g ram to take it up to 4g.

I backed up with Acronis a month ago and am wondering if I took up the option to upgrade, bearing in mind I would lose all the data on the PC, could this back up be used on the new 64bit system?

Any advice appreciated.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The first question to be asked is "is your PC capable of running a 64 bit system?" When you have confirmed this:-

Did Acronis back up all of your data in addition to doing a system image and can you see the individual data folders as distinct from a system image?

If they do not appear as separate folders can I suggest that you save all of your data onto the external hard drive (I assume that is where Acronis did the back up), or if not on the cd/flash drive.

Having done this there is no reason for you not being able to transfer it back to your PC when the 64 bit system is installed. I assume you are doing a completely new install, wiping your hard drive totally. I believe that you will need the activation/registration key for the 32 bit system for use with the 64 bit.

If you are in any doubt at all Medion are usually very helpful - one of my pc's is a Medion laptop and they have been very helpful in the past. Here is the link.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Hi difarn,

Thank you for your reply.

The PC is capable of running a 64 bit system and all files in addition to a system image has been recorded via Acronis onto an external drive. The link looks very useful in the event of any further information that may be needed.So I think I'll go ahead and get the benefit of the 64 bit CD that Medion have provided.

Many thanks.

Like this post  
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Remember you will need 64bit drivers for your printer ect.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

We Heart It is the teen social network that brands are watching