We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

livemail corrupted account

Jollyjohn
Resolved

Likes # 0

Help needed with this one.

W7 64bit on Compaq desktop - every thing else appears ok except livemail.

On opening livemail, to check a btinternet account, an unknown username is in the box and no password. On entering correct username and password - message appears saying one or other is incorrect. ( I know they are correct because I can log into the bt yahoo page) The account works in that I can send and receive e-mails, at least from myself. I am reluctant to simply delete the account because all the contacts have gone from the contact list - I want to recover these.

Avast av is up to date and am currently running a full scan. Will run Malewarebytes when finished. Quick google of problem didn't throw anything up for W7 but a few issues for Vista users.

Any advice gratefully received.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi - was just replying to you in the other thread about Livemail.

Am attaching an article which is quite enlightening, if not puzzling. it intimates that Microsoft's contacts.live.com website stores contacts if you had an account which you had to sign in for.

As for the unknown user name I would be inclined to let Windows Live know.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I have just gone onto the Live Contacts website - here

Under "sign up now it's free" you will see "already have a contact list - sign in" - click on this and it takes you straight to your contacts - at least it did for me.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for those replies - am going to have my dinner whilst AV scan finishes and will read the first article in more detail after dinner.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

Avast scan - clean. Malewarebytes full scan - clean.

I resolved this by using System Restore and going back about 4 days to before the problem started. All e-mails were still there and the contacts were restored. The reference to the unknown username has gone.

One point to note Avast did not appear to like the restore and I uninstalled it and re installed it and all is fine.

Like this post  
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad you got it sorted - I would be tempted to change my password now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback