We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 32bit to 64bit

Martin12

Likes # 0

I purchased a W7 32bit from Software4students and i would now like 64 bit. On their website it says this cannot be done , any ideas?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You made a mistake and you can only purchase the 64-bit version from retail sellers, I think. One bite of the apple.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

your question is a bit vague, you do not state if you purchased upgrade or full version .also you did not say if the claims that it cannot be done, are because of liciencing issues (legality) or phisical properties of your PC. but to clarify a few points ,an upgrade version is just that ,it is designed to uppgrade from an earlier version of windows , its very specific ,and can only be used on one machine ,and must stay on that machine once registered . if you purchased a full version its capable of being installed on any PC you own ,but can only be used on one machine at any one time , basically it means you can install it on your new PC ,later you may intall it on another new PC (must be yours) but you must then remove it from the first one . the licience is non tranferable . a full version if purchased will contain both 32 and 64bit discs ,and the same key will work for either ,you may install either ,or both ,as long as only one can be used at any one time . keys are non specific for 32 or 64 bit . keys are however specific to versions .(home basic,pro,ultimate etc.) your pc must have a 64 bit processor to support a 64bit OS ,and you can run either system individually or dual boot on such a machine ,however if your PC has a 32bit processor you are limited to 32bit period. if your machine is 64bit capable ,you may want to ask Microsoft directly , they may be sympathetic and allow you to switch if you say you wanted 64bit but purchased 32bit by mistake ,they have a decent record ,of being helpful if you ask nicely.

Like this post
Martin12

Likes # 0

Mine was an upgrade version from Software4students - yes I got in wrong!

I have an Intel i5 processer.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

How to do it, there's plenty of info, google for: w7 using upgrade key for fresh clean install

download and burn your own DVD's from official .iso's scroll down to the English(USA) W7 with SP1 U (media refresh). Note that x86 means it is 32bit and x64 is the 64bit version http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

look her http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions ,microsoft says its ok ,you will need a legit 64bit upgrade disc ,and its a bit more involved .but it does work ok .

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Martin12,

Be careful what you do as the versions for students vary somewhat to ordinary OEMs and retail discs for obvious reasons. Try lotvic's suggestion and see if it works. If you have less than 4 GBs of ram then not worth the hassle.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The versions for students DO NOT vary somewhat to ordinary W7 DVD's. It's the product key that says what version to install.

Student download is FPP not upgrade media even tho its marketed and advertised as an 'upgrade'.

The reason you can't run the upgrade install from within XP is because MS didn't program it to. You have to do a 'custom' install which is MS's wording for 'clean install' meaning you have to boot from the W7 DVD and overwrite/format the prior installation.

If using an Upgrade product key, do not activate during the install, Do the activation AFTER you have done all the updates from microsoft

Ditto the reason you can't install 64bit from within a 32bit Windows (MS didn't program it to do that)

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

http://www.techspot.com/news/36729-clean-install-windows-7-using-upgrade-media.html

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, I stand corrected. Just what an OU 'student' related to me.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

okay, you can sit down now.... and tell that student to do his/her homework ;-)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing