We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shortcuts toolbar stuck on Taskbar

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

In Windows XP when you right click the task bar and add a shortcuts toolbar, you are free to have the new toolbar on any edge of the screen away from the taskbar. In Windows 7, I seem to have that shortcut bar stuck on the taskbar. How can I move the shortcut bar to the top of the screen and keep the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, please?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you right click the desktop and open "Personalize", then Taskbar and Start Menu, you are given the option to have your taskbar at the top, bottom, left or right of the desktop.

You can put your shortcut icons individually wherever you want on Windows 7 desktop.

Does this help?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sorry, but I think you may have misunderstood the problem. I know I can move the taskbar, but I don't want to. I'm also tryiong to cut down on the num ber of individual icons I have on my desktop, and this I achieved in Windows XP by the use of a speparate short-cuts bar. In Windows 7, on the task bar I also now have a short-cuts bar but unlike Windows XP this it a fixed part of the task bar and I want to separate the two.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Yes I did misunderstand - have a look at this - it may help.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Hmm. Seems at first glance merely to confirm what I have found. Can't stop now, but I will look at this in more detail later in the week and then come back again.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You will need to read through and follow the links. I have removed my icons from the desktop and created a "desktop" tool bar which sits on the task bar. In addition you can pin your favourite web sites to your browser button if you keep this on your taskbar - this works very well.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Yes - its as I feared - all it tells me is what I already knew. But I don't want my new toolbar ON the taskbar. I have to find an alternative way of solving this problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just delved a bit more. Apparently this feature has definitely been removed in Windows 7. Have a look at this to see if it might be an alternative

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

Yes I have now had confirmation of this new 'feature' in Windows 7 from Microsoft with an invitation to let them know what I tihnk about it - I will be letting them know in no uncertain terms. They removed the shortcut bar from Office about 2003, and now this!

Thanks for the link - I'll take a look at this later and see if it helps. For the moment, though, I have added 5 folders of links to my desktop to overcome the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How about something like Rocket Dock, dock-apps.

Don't need/use it myself as I just double the taskbar and pin all short-cuts there.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

difarn, apologies, missed your link but a few more to look at in mine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......