We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 on netbooks

joesharp1

Likes # 0

Does Windows 7 speech recognition work on netbooks?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes, if it is installed then it is available. Have a look at this link

Like this post
joesharp1

Likes # 0

Thanks ! Looks like RAM size is critical here?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes but if it is installed on your netbook it should be ok. Have a look at this video link and have a go (I must admit I haven't set mine up yet but am tempted to have a go now).

Like this post
joesharp1

Likes # 0

Thanks - that's really helpful. I'm looking at assistive technology for use in a secondary school. Ipads and smart phones and Kindles look attractive - but as it a Windows environment without Wifi (yes, I know!)- netbooks seem a better all-round option, without so many of the student distractions/control issues - especially as Windows 7 offers speech recognition that works as well if not better than Dragon.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

At my school a trolley of wifi laptops was purchased with it's own router. They were very well used but of course absolutely insufficient as each subject teacher wants the facility to use PC's most lessons. How lovely it would have been to have had a set of re-conditioned laptops in every classroom and every corridor to have had it's own server/wifi router. Also a huge amount was wasted on licences for Microsoft Office when free Open Office could have been an alternative and the money spent on more equipment.

Best of luck with smart phones, kindles and ipads - hope they stand up to "little hands".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert