We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Immediately I click "Windows Live Mail" my Inbox appears without asking for my password !

Antonio Machado
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello experts !

I love Windows Live Mail but my friends I have a problem: as soon as I click on "Windows Live Mail" from my Start bottom menu, the whole list of all my "Inbox" e-mails appears, without asking me for my password, meaning that everybody using this computer can read everything, I have no privacy at all.

What can I do to solve this annoying problem ? I guess I have to set it up properly but I don't have a clue where to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help, best regards, Antonio.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I do not have an account name just above Inbox - I do have one to the far right - when I click on the arrow a drop down box appears with account, privacy and options - there is no facility within any of those to click onto properties.

I don't need to as I do not have a problem with this but it is puzzling why accounts are so different.

Maybe this is because we all migrated from "Hotmail" at different times.

Antonion - if you do not have the facility to find properties in your account like me I would suggest that you attempt to change your password and see if that allows you to change to always sign in.

If you want a shortcut on your desktop create this before you sign in - creating a shortcut after you have signed in can result in your mail being visible to all the minute you click on it.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just a thought - I only have my Windows live set up as an ordinary e-mail client - I have not used the option to have mail from other accounts re-directed. This may be the reason why do not have the same option re properties/servers etc. In fact I have my mail from Windows Live re-directed via Thunderbird.

Like this post
Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

Hello JollyJohn:

Thanks a lot, my friend, thank you very much for continuing helping me.

You say ""Antonio - When LiveMail opens it will always go straight to your inbox and list your e-mails. If your password is not saved then it should prompt you for it when you click send and receive. Having re read your original post "meaning that everybody using this computer can read everything, I have no privacy at all." - each user of the computer should have their own username and password and you should get into the habit of logging out when not at the PC.""

JollyJohn: I think that is the solution ! now how I do that ? could you pleasee explain me the steps I should follow to create my own username and password ?

Best greetings from New York, Antonio Machado.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 1

Assuming you are using Windows7 click on Start then click on the Icon / Picture at the top right of the menus. This will open a box and one of the options is "Manage another account" click this and then click on "Create a new account" - this account is for another user. When the account is created go back to Start and click on the picture again. This time select "Create a password for your account" and follow the prompts. Reboot and when W7 starts there will be the welcome screen and your username and the new account will be listed. When you click on your username you will be prompted for your password.

If you are using Windows XP or Vista you will need to go Start Control Panel User Accounts to start the process.

Like this post  
Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

JollyJohn:

Thank you very much, I got it and that was the solution to my privacy concern.

Gracias amigo !

Now I have another question for you my friend, I hope you don't mind: sometimes I open directly my e-mail account (without going through Windows Live Mail) and I create a new group (contact group) and it works well as long as I use the new group since Hotmail.

But when I go to Windows Live Mail and I sychronize it with my Hotmail Account, the new group doesn't appear in the list of groups !

What can I do ?

Also my friend JollyJohn: I love working with Windows Live Mail because of its versatility, I answer tons of e-mails, I delete many of them, etc. but then when I open my Hotmail Account directly (without going through Windows Live Mail) then all my "Inbox" appears as it was before all those updatings !

What can I do ?

Thanks a lot my friend for dedicating time to help me. Best greetings from New York, Antonio Machado.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer