We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

external hd asking to be formatted

conrail

Likes # 0

using windows 7 64 bit sp1, using old hd from last pc as external drive, using it for backup, today when I switched it on I get a message telling me it needs to be formatted, can anybody explain please on why this has suddenly happened, formatting no problem as I still have files on pc, just like to know why this message has suddenly popped up, drive is SATA if it helps,

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Have you given this drive a dedicated drive letter?

Open RUN, type in "diskmgmt.msc'. When it opens, find the drive and give it a dedicated drive letter.

It may be that the drive has become corrupted - type in chkdsk in the search field under all programmes (click on the start button first).

You should able to find out what it says about the drive. There may be some advice to follow. Does it say that the file system is RAW? If so then for some reason it has been corrupted - could it have been disconnected from pc without using the remove safely hardware facility for example? In some instances Windows 7 doesn't like external hard drives being left plugged in while you are shutting down or logging on.

Have you tried this with another pc?

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks difarn, appreciate your help, disk management shows drive K, 465.76Gb RAW, it is always plugged in but I use the on/off switch on the unit to switch it on/off, not tried on another pc, will try on wifes laptop when I get the chance, will let you know outcome, again many thanks for your advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad