We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

external usb 2.0 sata not recognised - windows 7 ultimate

logix

Likes # 0

My sata usb 2.0 external drive is not being recognised in windows 7 ultimate 32bit. all my other usb devices work fine when plugged in. The drive is currently blank and has been formatted.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Is this a recent problem? Was the drive recognised before and has stopped working? What is make/model of drive? Have you tried a different USB port?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Did you have the drive connected before or after you booted up? Mine prefers not to be plugged in until afterwards.

Have you checked your USB lead? Try the shortest one you have.

Have you updated the drivers for your hard drive?

You may need to assign a new drive letter - to do this

Click on start and type diskmgmt.msc on search bar. This would open Disk Management interface that is displaying all connected hard drives and partitions. Now select Drive from your disk management interface which doesn’t have any drive letter. Now right click & Select Change Drive Letter and Paths from the context menu. Click on the Add button in the next menu and pick a drive letter from the pull down menu. Click OK to assign selected drive letter and check your windows explorer or my computer to confirm missing drive of windows which was not showing you early.

Good luck

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...