We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Security Settings

AustinCann

Likes # 0

I am new to computers. My colleague left a computer for me to work on. I am trying to save the file in c directory and windows return error that I dont have permission to do so. I changed the permission settings in security tab from properties window of c drive to full control. While windows was updating to new settings, it showed a popup window saying that I dont have permission to change settings for some dll. I cancelled it and now I dont know what to do, it still does not let me save the files. Anything I am missing here? Kind Regards Austin

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hello

Are you trying to save a word document? If so you simply have to save it to Wdocuments". If you have Microsoft Word then you click on "file" at the top and navigate down to "save as" - you will be given many options but choose "word document", then you will be given options where to save this to. Choose "documents".

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi again,

This link may help to explain how to change permissions. Are you using the PC as a guest or just on your colleague's user account? Is this a temporary or permanent arrangement and do you need to change Administrator permissions? This can be done via the User Access Control in the Control Panel.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

Like this post
AustinCann

Likes # 0

Yes this is the permanent decision. This computer is connected to network and I tried to change the user account settings in control panel. What is domain which is required to set up user account and can I remove existing user? Kind Regards Austin

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hello Austin,

This link will tell you how to delete a user account:-

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6619/beginner-geek-delete-user-accounts-in-windows-7/

This link will tell you how to find your computer domain:-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Find-the-domain-your-computer-belongs-to

Hope they help.

Difarn

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...