We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Downloaded free audio books

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently downloaded several free audio books to my computer and they are listed in my downloads. Can someone kindly explain what I need to do to install them correctly from here so they can be heard, and importantly, stopped and started where the speaker or chapter ends. Thanks for the help - I have Win7 Pro installed. TC.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

TopCat® from where have you downloaded them? What format etc. Help!

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay - I think it was from a Sunday Telegraph offer website but maybe mistaken. All 9 are Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's major spy audio books, offered briefly as a free download over a few days.

The format is as downloaded ie. Compressed (zipped) Folder (.zip). I unzipped one: "Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy" but there's no mention of any file format in the unzipped 'Properties'. TC.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly to burn on CD? Unzip and then burn to CD format. Can't find anything on searching,- except for this,

Telegraph

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Finally sussed it out, dave. I unzipped a story into a new folder and the format bacame: MP3 Format Sound (.mp3) It also listed by numbers the individual chapters of the book, which is exactly what I wanted to keep check of my progress through the books. The audio is played via Windows Media Player. Thanks anyway for the help. TC.

Like this post  
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Doh! I must be having an off day - just re-read this and realised I have got my authors mixed up. The spymaster author is of course John le Carré and I apologise for the stupid error. TC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'