We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista connection drops if left idle for 20+ seconds, XP laptop connections fine

Floopp

Likes # 0

This started happening after receiving a new Modem from Talktalk.

I have 2 laptops with XP and 1 laptop with Vista connected to the same modem. The 2 XP laptop's connections are fine but the one with Vista cannot stay connected if left alone for a short period of time, it turns into Local Only and stops loading web pages until you try surfing the internet again. Any form of keeping the connection downloading something i.e. downloading content from web pages, playing an online game or downloading a file will keep the Vista connection connected until the download stops.

I have unchecked the power saving option in my Network Adapter in Device Manager, that is not an issue.

Also the internet on my iPhone is the same as the Vista connection. It plays up as well.

Thanks for any help.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you haven't already solved your Vista problem - you could have a look at this. Am assuming you are talking about wireless connection.

Check that your Vista machine has the same security settings as your router - the IP addresses need to be the same.

Check to see if your wireless network adapter needs updating - go to device manager to do this

Check the TCP/IP protocol settings - look at this article

If IPv6 is checked uncheck it leaving just IPv4 checked.
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days