We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All my files have been re-named with dates

souniwillile

Likes # 0

This is driving me mad. My laptop, running Vista, just decided to rename ALL my files with dates. When I try to rename them back again, it displays the date again. Even my desktop icons have been changed in this way. The recycle bin has no name tag at all, which is about the only one behaving differently. For example my Documents File maybe looked like 'My Documents - Letters - Spreadsheets - My Pictures' Now something like '11/05/2010 - 30/04/2011 - 15/06/2011 - 30/09/2011'. But if you right click and go to Rename, it shows the original name, not the date. Is it a virus or malware or what? Does anyone know how to change it back? It is impossible to navigate around like this, because you simply do not have any idea what a folder contains for example.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I don't use Vista anymore but try looking at this LINK to see if anything will help enter link description here

Like this post
souniwillile

Likes # 0

Thanks mate will give those suggestions a try.

Like this post
souniwillile

Likes # 0

Hi northumbria61,

I am finding it impossible to navigate round my system the way it is currently. It wount even let me do a 'search'. I cannot therefore find the file the other posting referred to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\@CachedSchema Have you any idea where it might be found? e.g. C:\folder1\folder2\HKLM etc.....

Thanks and regards,

Souniwillie

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

I don't know whether you've sorted it out yet, It's a windows registry entry you are looking for, you could try using Nir Soft Reg Scanner to find it for you if you are not familiar with manually navigating the registry, download Nir Soft Reg Scanner and let it do the reg search for you, near foot of page here at Feedback, regscanner.zip. It's a stand alone product and will not install itself into your all programs list, you unzip the download and click on the reg scanner icon that has the magnifying glass image in the unzipped folder.

enter link description here

explained how to use here

first you would copy to clipboard the full HKLM address, ie highlight, right click and select copy to put on windows clipboard the full reg entry as shown in the article or as shown here, same problem

then in Nir Soft Reg Scanner Reg Scanner window, not the Registry Scan Options window, click on File, then Open clipboard text in RegEdit and it will open the location in windows registry from the copied address on the clipboard without you having to do any search yourself.

Editing the registry can be risky so perhaps backing up the registry first might be a good idea, you can find out about that online.

Like this post
APOM

Likes # 0

I have the same problem. All my files have been re-named with dates. The file is like this: Icon + Date. I can change the display properties to know the file name, but it appears as well in another column. The icons are always associated with a date. This is very painful! Please HELPPPPPP

Like this post
souniwillile

Likes # 0

Hey guys, I am such a twat when it comes to this sort of thing I ended up taking it to my local techie store. Left it with them overnight and picked it up next day - now going like a train without the problem. They fixed it for me saying it was a virus! I know there is a bit of a language problem here, but they fixed it, and apparently so easily they didnt bother to charge me! So I have to say Dear Apom just take it in and save yourself a load of hassle. My fear is that if I start doing something that needs a bit of knowledge I may end up doing more damage than I am trying to fix! Lesson is there are those who can and those who cant............I have learned I cant! Good luck and regards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...