We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

search on Removable drive

dinerouk

Likes # 0

Win 7 64bit: How do I perform a search that includes my removable(Seagate) HD?

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

Providing the drive is connected to the PC and switched on, On the Desktop Double Click Computer or Start Orb, Computer, Top right hand corner you will see a Search Box with Search Computer with a Magnifying Glass to the right of it.

Type what you want to search for in the Search Box, i.e. *.mp3, and of it goes searching ALL The Drives connected to your computer (including Mapped Network Drives).

Like this post
dinerouk

Likes # 0

It doesn't seem to work

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

In Windows Explorer run a search for:

Minimum file size, type size:>30,000KB and press Enter. File type extension, type type:=.mp3 and press Enter. Using a partial filename, type filename:x in the search box (where x represents the partial filename you want to search for). Search for a specific phrase, type content: followed by your phrase enclosed in double quotes.

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

Press F3 and do a selected search for Removable disk.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

You may need patience. I have a Seagate drive that takes ages to be recognised by W7 64 bit. When I say "ages" it probably isn't, just seems that way, but one minute is quite common.

Try plugging it in and then making yourself a cup of tea/coffee.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK