We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop powers off at startup

Swallowhill

Likes # 0

On startup, power comes on, the hard disc runs and the system starts to boot but after 10 or 15 seconds the system powers off. This is a sudden and repeatable event, the screen sometimes getting into 'startup repair', but always powering off before any Recovery. After removal of the harddisk, memory slots and video card, I can poweron continuously and the main fan runs ok. A second fan (video chip?) does not run. Replacement of the hdd and memory is ok but as soon as the video card is re-installed the system returns to powering off after 10/15 seconds. Any suggestions? The video card is an nvidia gtx go 7900/7950 and I don't want follow an expensive path of unit replacement- the laptop is 4 years old, a Rock Xtreme CTX Pro (a Clevo generic laptop with a Hannstar J MV-4 motherboard.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

This sounds very similar to a problem I had last week after a re-partitioning crash. Immediately ruled out a hardware problem as Windows did start loading (and also in safe mode) so I put it down to a damaged driver but had to re-install entire system (not a problem in my case) to resolve. However, YOU could try booting from your install DVD and then reinstalling Windows over the top to recover the damaged driver whilst keeping all yuour settings and data in place.

Like this post
Swallowhill

Likes # 0

Thanks for input. Have already tried the instal disc but cannot get beyond the switch-off described earlier. Am waiting for a replacement fan (from Singapore) but am not optimistic. I think it's a hardware failure in the video card but don't think it's easy to find a (cost effective)replacement.

Like this post
Swallowhill

Likes # 0

Problem solved. Did some research on YouTube and discovered this was not a new problem. Many HP laptops seem to have had a similar problem, the solution being a reflow of the solder joints. Various methods proposed from infra-red reflow station, re-heating in the kitchen oven, reflowing with a gas torch and finally burning out an Ikea tea candle on the surface of the chip. I went for the kitchen oven, giving the video card 5 minutes at 230C. Success!!!! Saved me a few shillings and well don YouTube.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Oh dear. I don't like the sound of that. I must remeber to avoid HP Laptops. How old was yours?

Like this post
hookheathwebdesign

Likes # 0

Guildford Web Design Since no one has come up with a response to have the laptop boot up on powering up, I'm wondering if you've given any thought to maybe finding some other type of stimuli to have the laptop come alive. Wake on LAN?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

This does sound a bit drastic but it worked. Not many laptops have the separate video card that you mention, they are integrated into the mother bard. Wonder if it's because the second fan for the video chip doesn't work causing an automatic shut down to stop overheating?

Laptops need to be kept as cool as possible - the laptop cooling bases are efficient, if not a bit noisy.

Does it mean you have found a new type of "oven chip"?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi again,

Now I come to think about it some time ago my laptop had a graphics card problem. I took it to my local computer shop and the contacted the manufacturer. What they did was to "refloat" the mother board in solder - same effect I suppose. Cost me £50 but it works fine.

Like this post
ShaunaTexis

Likes # 0

The infected laptops encounter random shutdown problem until some maintenance activity is being performed on the system.

Two important things that you should do to fix a laptop which keeps shutting down are:

1- Scanning computer to eliminate malwares, spywares and the viruses from your laptop. 2- Repairing and cleaning Windows registry. The registry errors, however, are the internal errors and can become a cause of system crashes and freezes.

These two tips are found to be very helpful to fix the laptop shutdown problem. I also got some help from this article laptop shutdown problem

Hope it works for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good