We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to print - any printer

paulr1949

Likes # 0

Hi I've just taken delivery of a new windows 7 PC, with i5-2500k/8gb/SSD/1TB HDD, Asus p8z68-v lx motherboard. Everything was going fine with setting up until it came to printers. I have 3 printers connected - Brother HL2030 laser, HP Photosmart D6160 and Epson Stylus photo R2400 - and NONE of them will work. All three came up with "your device is installed correctly etc etc" message. I can't print documents or even a test page. I've downloaded and installed Brother's W7 driver - zilch. HP site says you lose most of the functionality of toollbox etc but "the windows 7 default driver should work" - it doesn't. Likewise the Epson. I've tried 3 or 4 times to reinstall them all, deleting each first from the control panel, and absolutely no joy. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong but can't figure out what - can anybody help please? Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Don't know if you got your brother printer working but there has been a new release to-day to fix the "bug" with this printer and windows 7

fix for bug

Fingers crossed

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi again,

Fix for bug out to-day for Brother printer

fix for bug

Fingers crossed.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Sorry double posted again - my internet connection dropped so I sent it again but obviously didn't need to. You did say that you got your printer working but just in case I thought you would like to know about this fix.

Like this post
paulr1949

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for the link - I will download the fix and keep it in reserve. The Brother printer has been working, although occasionally iy has hiccups and stops. Last time I selected the settings to print out and that woke it up again. The status monitor doesn't work all of the time, but if the printer's working that doesn't matter :)

Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Never a dull moment with a PC is there? Glad you are still printing.

Like this post
paulr1949

Likes # 0

Well problems again! The HP D6160 has stopped working, and the Epson R2400 doesn't work - I hadn't tried that up to now as I hadn't needed it. (1) HP - it stopped because there is an ink cartridge error message and in Win7 it is not possible to use the HP status monitor software to see what the error is. I have managed to install the software on my laptop (running vista HP 32) and, by connecting the printer directly to the laptop sorted out the error message, but now, when reconnected to the Win7 machine, it won't print at all again (2) Epson - I have installed the Epson drivers for W7 from their site, having previously removed the printer, but it will not print, neither will the status monitor communicate with the printer

I have to say I am getting a bit fed up with this - Windows 7 is touted as quick, easy, secure and everything else - but they don't tell you about all the side effects.

Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

How frustrating for you - this is a repeat of what happened earlier isn't it? Before trying the fix given by "pcologist" can you just check that the settings for the printer haven't changed, particularly in relation to the port - is usually DOT4 or a USB name.

If you feel like a bit more reading, have a look at this about multiple printers on one windows 7 PC

Like this post
paulr1949

Likes # 0

Hmm - but I've only got one network to worry about... :)

I think I've tried the HPSDU (well actually the HPPDU because the S is for scanner) but I may try it again after I've tried reinstalling yet again.

If all else fails, I shall have to clear some space and set it up so that the two printers I can't use in windows 7 I connect to my laptop when I need to use them, which is a pain to say the least. Mind you, sharing printers between a windows 7 and a windows vista machine may be tricky...

Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There is another option - have the printers installed via your router using an ethernet 3 port print server such as this.

Like this post
paulr1949

Likes # 0

That is a possibility. Anyway, I've run the HP utility and the HP printer has come back to life - at least until it next comes up with a cartridge problem. From the comment on the HP website, they can't be bothered to provide a proper windows 7 driver, so users can no longer check the ink levels and see which cartridge needs replacing when the printer stops working! Helpful, eh?

Paul

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...