We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to print - any printer

paulr1949

Likes # 0

Hi I've just taken delivery of a new windows 7 PC, with i5-2500k/8gb/SSD/1TB HDD, Asus p8z68-v lx motherboard. Everything was going fine with setting up until it came to printers. I have 3 printers connected - Brother HL2030 laser, HP Photosmart D6160 and Epson Stylus photo R2400 - and NONE of them will work. All three came up with "your device is installed correctly etc etc" message. I can't print documents or even a test page. I've downloaded and installed Brother's W7 driver - zilch. HP site says you lose most of the functionality of toollbox etc but "the windows 7 default driver should work" - it doesn't. Likewise the Epson. I've tried 3 or 4 times to reinstall them all, deleting each first from the control panel, and absolutely no joy. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong but can't figure out what - can anybody help please? Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Some other alternatives to try:-

Have you tried to manually install the printers using the Windows add printer wizard? You can locate this by clicking on start and typing it into the search box. When you get to this window choose "add printer" and work your way through the wizard - when you get to printer options choose "have disk" then navigate to the folder that has the driver and select the file.

OR

Uninstall the printer, then go to Control Panel/Hardware/Devices/Add A Printer. Select to add a local printer using LPT1, then scroll through the driver listing and find your model. If it isn't listed use the Windows Update search that is under the driver tables to get a current list. Select your printer and install. Restart your computer, plug up USB and (hopefully) get to printing.

OR

Delete the printer and reboot

Delete any drivers

Reboot with Printer connected to the PC

Windows should try to install the printer and as it won't be able to find the drivers will run its own fix and suggest drivers from a list or will go online to find them.

There must be a way!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Some other alternatives to try:-

Have you tried to manually install the printers using the Windows add printer wizard? You can locate this by clicking on start and typing it into the search box. When you get to this window choose "add printer" and work your way through the wizard - when you get to printer options choose "have disk" then navigate to the folder that has the driver and select the file.

OR

Uninstall the printer, then go to Control Panel/Hardware/Devices/Add A Printer. Select to add a local printer using LPT1, then scroll through the driver listing and find your model. If it isn't listed use the Windows Update search that is under the driver tables to get a current list. Select your printer and install. Restart your computer, plug up USB and (hopefully) get to printing.

OR

Delete the printer and reboot

Delete any drivers

Reboot with Printer connected to the PC

Windows should try to install the printer and as it won't be able to find the drivers will run its own fix and suggest drivers from a list or will go online to find them.

There must be a way!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

A bit of a glitch - article got posted twice!

Like this post
paulr1949

Likes # 0

Hi Difarn

Still no joy :( I've tried all your suggestions (one of them installed it as "other device"). The Brother printer has a status monitor which either shows "No printer" or "Offline" - but windows device manager says it is ready and working correctly!

I've emailed Brother but I don't expect anything helpful back

Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hello Paul

This is a steep learning curve isn't it?

You could try a Universal Print Driver - here is a link:-

http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/drute/rc2/model/pi/pien.htm#Microsoft%20Windows%20Vista%20%28x64%29

Make sure you choose the 64-bit windows 7 option - you will see that there are two options available - I would be inclined to try the PS driver for universal print - you will also need the printer switcher.

Something has to work.

Good luck.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi again,

Next instalment:-

Click on start and type in Device Manager. Click on View at the top and check "show hidden devices" Click the + next to printers If the printer is listed then it has been recognised correctly (it may show a different code to your printer as this could be Brother compatible.

If Printers does not appear, the Device Manager does not recognize the machine. Please try the followings: - Connect to a different port on the PC - Try another identical USB cable

If you see a yellow ? mark with the Brother machine name, right click on the mark and select Uninstall and close the Device Manager. Disconnect the Brother machine and restart the PC. After restarting the PC, reconnect the Brother machine. Does the status manager now change?

Have you run the printer troubleshooter? - link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Printer-troubleshooter

Have looked at Brother site...link http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/eu/gb/en/faq/faq/000000/000700/000009/faq000709000.html?reg=eu&c=gb&lang=en&prod=mfc5840cnall and it intimates there may be a patch:-

"The message "No Device" appears when starting the "Status Monitor". Description:

To resolve this issue, please download and use the patch tool following the instructions below.

Create a "New Folder" on your desktop
Click here to start downloading the patch file.
Save the file to the "New Folder" on your desktop.
Windows® 98/ 98SE/ Me/ 2000 users:
Click START -> SETTINGS -> PRINTERS.
Windows® XP users:
Click START -> PRINTERS AND FAXES.
Right click the Printer icon of your model name and select Properties.
Click the General tab.
Verify there is text in the "Comment" field. If the field is empty  type in your printer name for example: MFC420CN

Worth a try.

Like this post
paulr1949

Likes # 0

Hi Difarn

Still no joy. The Ricoh avenue won't work, it just fizzles out with no installation. The brother patch I can't find (the link has gone wonky and although I've tried numerous combinations and searching I can't get to that page. However, the patch appears to be for a MFC5840C, which appears to be an inkjet multi-function device.

I'm getting really p*d off by this. I've temporarily set it up as a network printer on the old PC but I don't really want two PCs in my dining room for ever!

Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hello again,

Sorry the UPD didn't work - have come across this link from HP if you want to have a go?

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/343033-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=exr2845go/upd

Also found a blog giving the following advice:-

Go to Control Panel.

Select All Control Panel Items.

Open Devices and Printers.

At the top of the window, select Add a Printer.

Select Add a Local Printer.

In Choose a Printer Port, select Use an existing port.

In the drop down menu, select the USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB).

Select the Next Button.

In the Manufacturers section, select HP.

In the Printers section, look for your printer model and select it.

Note: If your printer does not appear in the HP list, select the nearest LaserJet series model number.

Click the Windows Update Button. WU will search the driver database for all HP printers.

Note: The search may take some time, be patient.

When the search is complete, go back to the HP section and your printer should now appear there. Select it and click the Next Button.

Your printer will appear in the printer name box, click Next again and the printer will be installed.

You never know!!

Like this post
paulr1949

Likes # 0

Well I've no real idea why but the printer has suddenly sprung into life! I think it was because I deleted the Brother drivers before I tried the UPD, then reinstalled them - but I'd already done that at least three times, so who knows.

Anyway, temporarily at least I now have two of the three printers working. Now just the Epson R2400 to crack - and I've already tried downloading updated drivers :(

Thanks for your help

Paul

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Excellent news - your patience has been rewarded.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'