We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ex HD file system

conrail

Likes # 0

using windows 7 65 bit sp1, I have a number of films on pc of granddaughter and to save putting them onto DVD I have put them onto an external HD which is NTFS, I have tried to link it up to my freesat box which has a usb port, TV hasn't, unfortunately the box wont accept the NTFS sile system, have tried changing to exFAT, again this isn't accepted, tried friends ex HD which is FAT, (FAT32)? and this works, can I change my ex HD to then old FAT system? all help and advice appreciated.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

sorry, it should say 64 bit, not 65, apologies

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

W7 can't, it only does format to NTFS. However on sevenforums.com they recommend this little free utility http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm but you have to save all your data files to somewhere else or lose them as you format the HDD.

Hope none of the video files are bigger than 4Gb as that is the individual file size limit for FAT32 and they won't transfer back if bigger.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks lotvic , I will look at that, longest video is just under 800 Mb, about 1.5 hours I believe. I appreciate your help, many thanks again

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You can format to FAT32 in W7 from the command line Fat32

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

that is not the link i was after and now can't find the walk through.

The command line entry is

format X: /FS:FAT32

Where X is your drive you want formatted

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thansk bremner but drive is 1TB and if I partition it it wont work with freesat box, tried friends FAT32 unpartitioned drive which works well but it wont read another partitioned drive, I appreciate your help though

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home