We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

? How to - Change what file level Win Explorer opens at, pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

Using Win Vista Home Premium

When I open Windows Explorer, the Drive tree, displayed in the left-hand pane, (sorry, don't know what else to call it) is always at Start Menu, showing the Program folders below, ie next level, so I need to go up 6 levels to find my account folder in C:\ drive, or to unexpand the tree. This is just so tedious to do every time.

Is it possible to change how the tree is displayed when I go to Explorer, please?

I would like it to display C:\ or my account in that drive as the default whenever I open Win Explorer as they are the places I usually need to be at.

Easy steps, pleasee ;)

Thanks for any help.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Why not just create a shortcut direct to the folder from your desktop.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Brynit

Yes, I do have shortcuts but I still go via Win Explorer depending on what I need to do. Thanks, though. Shortcuts are very useful and it could have been that was a good solution.

... so, my question still stands ...

Hopefully, someone knows if and how one can change this default???

Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Brynit, Having said that, maybe a shortcut to C:\ itself would suffice, if I can't find out how to change the default display. I hadn't thought of that, so yes, your suggestion has helped trigger some further thought :)

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for this link, Beta. I found it very helpful that the article explained why it opens in Start Menu if right clicking on Start.

So, in essence, Brynit, your suggestion of making a shortcut amounts to the same.

I have now edited a WinExplorer shortcut and put in the TaskBar, opening at the level I prefer.

Thanks to both of you, very much, for your help.

I will 'Tick' Beta's link as the solution, only because it gives more information/explanation.

Cheers

Like this post  
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi folks

Ive just discovered that WinKey+E does exactly what I would like, ie opens the whole collapsed tree. So, now I have two options - the shortcut, as suggested by both Brynit and Beta, and the WinKey+E, both giving slightly different displays but both good.

Brilliant!!! Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad