We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My Views after a few weeks use

sharpamat
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having run the DP for several weeks as a home user using duel boot, I feel it will be a worthy follow on from windows 7 .The last preview I found to be this stale was Win 98 its faster to boot up. Faster to open the applications I use, and a much clearer display. Using the gadgets I have closely followed the usage of various aspects and all give lower use than 7

It does seem the Metro to replace the start menu is here to stay , Once it has been used I don't find it a problem, and may invest in a touch screen monitor, and it seems Microsoft is already dealing with the shutdown switch issue.

I have found that all my programs which I have used before I have installed without problems. The only exception has been a DTV USB stick , no drivers or hot fix's are available as there were none for Win 7

I find I am using the DP more often than Win 7.

I look forward to the Beta Version and if the same deals that were available as per win 7 I would take advantage and install it.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

I like your thinking. That should sound obvious. So ok touchscreens get more dirty in such a short time, but are much easier to clean.

Keyboard and mice are so much less hygienic in public places due to what you just said about cleaning them.

And who wants to waste there time fiddling with a mouse and keyboard if the same task can be done in half the time with touchscreen. And at least with touchscreens, people that cant use a mouse/keyboard don't need to rely on others to do it for them.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Dr. Charles is shown as the last poster, however this addition is not displayed, perhaps the FE can explain why ??

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

sharpamat

I deleted the post. Not because there was anything wrong with it, per se, but because it was posted in the wrong forum area. It was a pretty long post, so I sent the text to the person concerned, suggesting that it might be better positioned in another forum area. He decided not to do that, as there was some factually incorrect information in the text.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Many thanks FE

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I too have been trying Win 8 but HATE the touch screen idea. It is a step forward to incorporate it but should have a choice between the touch and "old" style.

Perhaps you can explain something for me. I use a "touch" screen on my kitchen oven/cooker it got marked within days and now for any one other than me it is unreadable. How will a pc screen be any different?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

How will a pc screen be any different?

Thats a question I fear will that very few will be able to provide an answer to. We can only await the next stage from Microsoft to see if there will be an option or choise of menus

I did disable the Metro but found it did not respond fully and reenabled it

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Having finished what I wanted to see in Windows 8 I have now removed it without any problem

Like this post  
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

I find that the biggest annoyance at the moment is restarting. It is quicker to shutdown and switch back on than it is restarting. Shutting down seems to take a long time, but no worse than windows 7.

When I had vista, I found that it actually shut down a lot faster than win7, but then win7 quicker to startup.

The aero works lovely on my netbook, but win8 is not that fantastic for word processing on on a 1gb ram netbook. It is ok with my sisters 1gb ram netbook as she is not doing much stuff so she is hardly using over 100mb ram, but because I am using at college, I have been very easily using the 300mb ram out of 1gb ram that windows 8 was leaving for me, but as soon as put 2gb ram in, it is now almost perfect.

It could be a lot better if using more powerful machine, but it is 100x better than the 1gb ram college PCs which have win7 pro on which is so stupid. and there we are, meant to be using them for programming at a later stage!

Thats why taking my netbook, as well as don't need to worry about logging on and off, I just need to shut the lid, put away in my rucksack whilst it is going into hibernation, and switching it back on again in the taxi home etc.

And it starts up from a cold boot quicker that what it takes those PCs to open windows explorer to the libraries page.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Do not know what method you are useing to shutdown I installed from Gadgets The Vista one which seemed fine. Do not know how you will get rid of it off of a netbook. dont forget its only usable untill March 2012

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

I know, came across that expiry date can't remember where though. But I most certainly gonna get the beta! Can't wait! I have never been so excited about a windows os before, but this is really interesting, windows 8, and my opinion is that it is a huge step forward, but they should still keep having the classic menu as an option, at least for a while.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more