We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard disk almost full, yet I've removed just about everything!!

Florio

Likes # 0

About a year ago I bought a new laptop with Windows 7 as its OS, and I gave the old one, which has Vista Home Premium, to my 8-year-old son. I created a separate account for him so that I could exercise 'parental control', but removed just about everything from my account--documents, programmes etc.

My son just uses the computer for games, but as they have seemed to be running very slowly of late, I just did a check for viruses, malware, software conflicts and so on. What I have discovered is that the hard disk, which has a capacity of about 70.2Gb is virtually full (68.8 Gb utilised) and there is only 1.46 Gb of free space. This seems unbelievable seeing as the programmes and games installed amount to a mere 20.1 Gb, and there is very little else on the PC.

I've tried defragmenting and disc cleaning, but I cannot really remove much else since the remaining software is Acer and Microsoft system files or flash players etc, necessary for the functioning of the games my son uses. Surely this shouldn't be necessary anyway if the software only occupies around 20 Gb.

Any ideas as to why the disk is virtually choc-a-block, and how I can put things right??

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Are you including the Vista operating system as part of this 20 GB? You don't remember how much free space remained after you had created the additional account for your son?

You've tried windows own Disk Clean, I don't suppose you will have been able to defrag, not enough free space for defrag to run.

Could suggest a few utilities to account for and perhaps make sense of what's on your hard drive, but they'd fill it up even more at the minute, things like WinDirStat or Jam Software Tree Size Free.

Have you tried running CCleaner in its default mode?

To free up some space quickly if you have system restore running, you can reduce the windows default size allocated for SR, which I think is 12% of free drive space up to 150GB, which in your case may be about 8GB reserved for SR, which could be reduced to about 2GB or less.

enter link description here

Also try reducing the default size allocated for the Recycle Bin

enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...