We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need to increase size of previously created partition

Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi Dual boot Vista and XP with Vista preinstalled on Dell XPS 420. Followed tutorial to use GParted to create XP partition and everything fine and dandy until recently. Seems that the 10Gb I allocated for XP has now almost been used (bit of a mystery since I only use it for internet and downloading files which are then stored on another partition).

I'm assuming I can use the Vista disk management tool to increase the size of the XP partition but I need to reduce another before doing that.

Hopefully OK so far. In disk management the XP partition sits next to the main C partition with the Vista OS. This is is showing as having 80Gb free yet the prog only allows me to shrink by 40Mb!

I also have 50Gb free on the other disk but guess I can't akkllocate any of that to the XP partition.

Sorry to be so long winded but very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Simon

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Shrink Volume” from the menu.

In the Shrink dialog, you will want to enter the amount you want to shrink by, not the new size. For example, if you want to shrink your 50gb partition by roughly 10gb so that it will now be roughly 40gb, enter 10000 into the box:

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for response. Managed to shrink C and extend XP partition using Easeus. However, my problem is that I now can't get XP to boot (Vista is fine-even on the reduced partition!).

Have tried safe mode, safe with networking but no joy. PC keeps freezing at the blue XP screen with the coloured flag.

I have an XP installation disk with SP3. When I first installed the dual boot a year ago I had to get some extra drivers for the XPS420 and this proved difficult as the machine was only designed for Vista etc. I also recall that I had to run something called Nlite to slip stream-is that correct?

Update

1. Was advised by colleague in work to try the Vista disk to use it's repair facility to fix the XP boot problem. However, it is limited to Vista (surprise surprise). It does invite you to load drivers from another disk but when I then try the XP installation disk it freezes as below.

2. When you run the XP disk it confirms Set up is loading files and then set up is starting windows. It is at this point that it gives the blue screen with A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your machine blah blah.. Fatal error, Stop 0*0000007B.....

As stated earlier I don't know if this is due to the PC trying to install XP on a PC which already has XP or is something to do with the slip streaming malarkey? Perhaps someone would be kind enough to confirm that.

I assume that the XP disk has a repair facility just like the Vista one and it would be great to be able to get at that to repair the XP boot loader instead of having to do a clean re install.

Apologies for going on but wanted to give as much intel as possible.

Many thanks for your help and time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...