We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is better upgrade?

kc2407

Likes # 0

I want to upgrade my ageing desktop pc to a newer faster model but I am not sure which route to take. I have been recommended to go for an Athlon dual core 3.0ghz, but others are suggesting the Intel HT equivalant. I need the pc mainly for web browsing and downloads but do not play many games, although when I do I would like them to run at least smoothly if not supafast. I do not want to spend a fortune so what would you recommend?

Like this post
TeddySmith

Likes # 0

First of all, how much is your budget for the upgrade? If your computing needs are for Web browsing and downloads only look for a desktop equipped with an Intel Core i3 processor, or Athlon II and Phenom II processors bearing AMD's Vision badge (as opposed to Vision Premium, or Black) and opt for a machine with only 2GB of RAM to keep your applications running smoothly.

As far as storage is concerned, consider how you plan to use the machine, and budget accordingly. Large hard drives,(see buyer guides on hard drives) have become fairly inexpensive, but if you don't have a vast collection of music and photos, a smaller, cheaper drive won't be much of a setback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015