We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

About to upgrade to Windows 7

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a self built PC running XP Pro SP3, and I'm planning to upgrade this to Windows 7 Professional, initially dual booting until I've sorted out all hardware & driver problems.

The hardware is an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard which I know supports 64 bits architecture, 2 x 1Mb DDR2 800 MHz DIMMS and an AMD Athlon II x2 250 Processor @ 3GHz AM3 CPU which, I understand, also has 64-bit instructions.

To the nitty-gritty, given that I can easily buy more RAM as required - there are still 2 free slots on the motherboard), should I go for 32-bit or jump to 64-bit. Will my existing software (including Office 2010, Acronis Disk Director and True Image, Steganos Suite etc) install and reap the benefit, or will I need further expense to upgrade all these. And how much RAM should I buy if I stick with 32 bit or if I jump to 64 bit.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Obviously office 2010 will work and as for the rest. Let me put it this way I have a self build with Windows 7 64BIT and I have yet to come across a program that did not work.

As to whether you go the 32BIT or 64BIT route is really up to you but as to the ram if choosing 32Bit then only add another couple of GB's if 64BIT then as much as you want,or as much as your mobo will handle.

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a dual boot with XP and W7 for about a month in late 2009. Soon got rid of the XP and in some ways regret having bothered with a dual boot.Glad I by-passed W2000 and Vista! If you want more than 3.5 gig RAM go for the 64 bit.Programmes for 32 bit run happily in that mode in C:\Programme Files(x84) location.32 bit systems will not recognise more tha 3.5 Gig RAM.

Like this post
jackwills

Likes # 0

I have a windos application of through which i had a questions are occured When we are upgrades this version with the help of internet then they catch numbers of different viruses due to this operating systems is demeged.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

jackwills. Can you rephrase that? Could not understand your point.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Jackwills.

Please open you own thread and do not confuse everyone by hijacking another's

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made