We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

win 8 - no cd/dvd driver

woody
Resolved

Likes # 0

Tried to dual boot win 8 but get "no driver" for dvd - any one over come this problem?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Did not think W/8 was out yet.Is it a Beta.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can try it out (link on right of this page) but it is a Windows 8 Developer Preview and comes with the warning:

"The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it," Microsoft cautions. "It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment."

PCA say: We've had no problems running this early build, but we don't recommend trying it out on your primary PC, laptop, tablet, or even smartphone. Neither can we accept responsibility if anything goes wrong, and advise that you first back up all your data.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is exactly the sort of problem you may get with a pre-beta version. The driver is almost certainly not available.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Woolwell - It works as a "New Load" drivers ok - but there is some problem with dual boot - and yes the "problems" are part of the fun.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to the Windows 8 forum from Helproom.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I found no problems with CD/DVD reading.( But it is an developers version ) not a beta. I installed on a spare drive and did an upgrade rather than full install. Plus I wanted to see what programs that I already use would work.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I installed Windows 8 Developers Edition as a dual boot with Windows 7 on my Acer laptop. It runs exactly as it says it will. I chose to use the part of my hard drive partition that didn't include W7 (just in case I had a problem) however it all installed very easily and I now have the option to chose W7 or W8 at booting.

W8 seems to be W7 with a different Start Menu. This is the first screen viewed however it drops you back into a standard Desktop if you chose any of the Apps on the Start Screen. As I'm happy with W7 I can't see any real use for W8 (in my case) but I can see the attraction for small screen devices like phones and tablets.

W8 does seem very very late when you look at how sophisticated Android is on phone/tablets and I assume the same comment applies to Apple phone/tablets.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I loaded the "ISO" into a virtual machine and it worked - no driver problems reported at loading time. Then the driver problems were overcome by changing :- the DVD recorder - the ISO recording program - the DVD stock - and the recording speed. When "WIN8" has loaded as dual boot it opens with a new style boot manager giving a choice of win8 or your other OS's.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...