We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is exFat as opposed to fat32 structure

robinhawkins@btinternet.com

Likes # 0

my Seagate external hard drive was reformatted to the "ext3" file structure by my Humax PVR. I want to reformat it to "fat32" which I have tried to do but the structure is now described as "exfat". does that mean the external hard drive is in effect a "fat 32" format?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you want the "techie" stuff about exFAT, have a read of this article. It isn't FAT32 and does overcome many of the limitations of FAT32 where formatting as NTFS isn't suitable. Your drive partition is probably too large for Windows to be able to format it as FAT32, although a third-party "partition manager" or "disk management" software would do it.

Like this post

Likes # 0

I contacted Seagate who advise me of some software of Burns which, hopefully,will allow me to convert the drive from ex-fat back to fat 32. If anyone is interested I have the details.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Correction: I did not mean Burns but "their's"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks