We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The BEST Free Antivirus?

lisasctt4

Likes # 0

Okay, so AVG Free literally sucks, and don't bother saying it doesn't. It doesn't work and when I recently installed it, it disabled my internet adapter, i'm talking my internet worked fine, and i install this onto my laptop that i'm playing around with, and It auto restarts, and it just completely disables the adapter. Also, I don't like the fact that it doesn't allow you to uninstall it without downloading a force uninstall program. Please, only answer this question if you have alot of expirence with free antivirus systems. I've know that most free Antivirus systems always suck, but if you have a good one, that is completely all around great, please tell me. It needs to work for XP, and someone told me to use Windows Microsoft Essentials, but I can't find anywhere to download that, so if you think that this is a good choice, please help me out there. Thanks alot if you can help

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You could always try Googling, MSE download, and see what comes up.

Like this post
mikef.

Likes # 0

It's strangely easy to find MSE at Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security_essentials/default.aspx

Like this post
linux2aixdotcom

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell Why do I need anti-virus software for my linux operating system?

http://www.linux2aix.com/

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

you dont really need an antivirus for linux ,the reason being its such an insignificant OS ,and by that i mean the percentage of users is so rediculousely low (on the grand scale of things) . virus writers are not going to waste their time . incidently though many windows viruses are generated (created) on linux systems ,as its open source system is not restricted by windows security protocols . if linux ever manages to grow to a substantial OS ,and have literally millions of programs available to users ,then it will be a different scenario and you will indeed need an antivirus . I am curious though ,if linux is so wonderful ,bug free and never has any problems ,why are you and some others wasting your time on help forums ,surely you should be enjoying your wonderful PC and OS.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use Avira (free) and it has dealt with the odd virus very well.

Like this post
Swampy

Likes # 0

I have used several anti-virus progams over the years, including Norton, AVG etc. Someone advised that Microsoft Security Essentials was excellent. I installed this some time ago and haven't looked back. Just "Google" Microsoft Security Essentails to download this free program.

Like this post
lelindaedwards

Likes # 0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Free antivirus do not 'suck' generally. I've used AVG (the earlier versions were very resource hungry, but the latest is better. Certainly never done what you experienced). Avast is also good, but I now use MSE. As others have mentioned, any Google query will lead you straight to it.

Like this post
chenadam

Likes # 0

AVG is good, but you can use bitDeffender if i'm not mistaken you can easily immunize your USB for any virus.. I'm using AVG on my laptop and Avira on my PC :)

Like this post
chenadam

Likes # 0

AVG is good, but you can use bitDeffender if i'm not mistaken you can easily immunize your USB for any virus.. I'm using AVG on my laptop and Avira on my PC :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

VR controller attempts to make Oculus Rift easier to use