We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The BEST Free Antivirus?

lisasctt4

Likes # 0

Okay, so AVG Free literally sucks, and don't bother saying it doesn't. It doesn't work and when I recently installed it, it disabled my internet adapter, i'm talking my internet worked fine, and i install this onto my laptop that i'm playing around with, and It auto restarts, and it just completely disables the adapter. Also, I don't like the fact that it doesn't allow you to uninstall it without downloading a force uninstall program. Please, only answer this question if you have alot of expirence with free antivirus systems. I've know that most free Antivirus systems always suck, but if you have a good one, that is completely all around great, please tell me. It needs to work for XP, and someone told me to use Windows Microsoft Essentials, but I can't find anywhere to download that, so if you think that this is a good choice, please help me out there. Thanks alot if you can help

Like this post
sarabose

Likes # 0

I have been using Comodo internet security..its free and also better then others..I had norton and bit deffender which made my PC very slow..now comodo is super... http://go4download.com/comodo-internet-security-2011

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

MSE (Microsoft security essentials ) is available here : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5201 its the same install file works for win7/vista/XP . JUST MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT TYPE (32BIT OR 64BIT) . Its as good as the best of them .

Like this post
Mike_tech

Likes # 0

I use Avira free edition.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I guess I have tried most of the Anti virus programmes over the past ten years. Norton, PC Tools, AVG,Bulldog and a few more. I have found that Microsoft Security Essentials is easily one of the best--and it is free. Some PC mags offer comparisons of the various paid for systems but rarely in comparison to the Free ones. However I have good reason to believe that some of the editorial staff who run these tests actually use MSE for their own systems! That's good enough for me especially since v2 of MSE which came out earlier this year is a good step forward in capability for this anti virus software.

However it does no harm to put other security layers into your system which don't conflict with your main defence. Rapport, Malwarebytes and others come to mind.

Like this post
Philion

Likes # 0

I've used AVG a long time, then switched to Avast, think it's the best free antivirus

Like this post
WallyWest

Likes # 0

I personally use Avast! Free Antivirus. I have compared it with other popular free antivuses such as MSE and Avira and I am quite happy with it. Updates are fast, it has several modules for protecting various entry points for malware/viruses such as Web, Script, peer-to-peer, IM, etc.

You might get some more ideas here: http://www.techyv.com/questions/what-better-free-anti-virus

good luck!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do