We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue screen of death

jonathan3141
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've finally managed to install Windows 7 Service pack 1 (64 bit) after some initial failed instals.

Since then I've been getting occasional crashes to the blue screen, it's happening consistently when running two different programs - Rise of Flight (which is pretty demanding) and Prime 95 (a program which deliberately stress tests the computer). Both will run for a reasonable amount of time before crashing.

I've tried a few things - Checked the disc for errors using the windows utility. Checked RAM for errors (software check, rather than opening up and fiddling with them). Core temp is running up to 70 degrees.

I'm running an i5 2500k - overclocked, but built by Cougar and has water cooling etc. Graphics is AMD Radeon HD 6950. And 8GB of RAM.

All Windows updates are installed, but I'm not sure how to check all driver updates are installed - have manually checked that the graphics card is.

The computer is under warranty and I haven't spoken to Cougar yet, so that is an obvious route. But wondered if others have any suggestions. I really don't want to go down the reinstall Windows route if it can be avoided...

thanks for any help

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

First try this - Click on: Start - In Search Box type CMD - Right click on Command Prompt - Click on: Run as Administrator:

Note: Black screen with the command prompt appears.

type: sfc/scannow then press: Enter

Will take a while - after finished it will restart the machine automatically and all should be fine again.

Like this post
jonathan3141

Likes # 0

Thanks. Done that - the good news is that it didnt find any problems, but I suppose that also means it hasn't fixed any either!!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If it didn't find any problems then there must not have been any to fix. It could be a driver issue - check in Device Manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks against anything in the list. You could also run in safe mode - this loads just the basic drivers. If you encounter BSOD in safe mode it is most likely a driver fault.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

Does it still do it if you put the CPU back to stock settings?

Bluescreenview can be helpful in tracking down problem drivers.

Like this post
jonathan3141

Likes # 0

Thanks.

Bluescreen shows 4 failures, but different driver errors on 3 of the 4 occasions. So I'm guessing this points to hardware rather than software.

I've just tried Memtest and that ran properly for a long time, but in the end reported memory failures. The system was running with core temps at up to 70 degrees, I've no idea whether this is within normal operating temps or too hot.

How do I wind back the overclocking on the CPU?

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

If you're getting memory errors then get the RAM replaced (hopefully under warranty).

70ÂșC CPU temp is within specification and shouldn't cause problems.

Like this post
jonathan3141

Likes # 0

I think I've isolated it to one stick of RAM - will do some more testing, but taking one out and swapping them around, one seems to be ok on the Memtest, the other is failing.

Glad the temp at 70 is ok, and it is running slightly cooler now as I've taken off the scarily thick layer of dust that was building up around the fan.

Many thanks for your help, I'll tick as resolved as hopefully it is!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014