We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop slowing down

demsodes

Likes # 0

i got a new lenovo 560e for uni in july,but for the past 3 weeks, it has been slowing down, and whenever I want to shut it down it says waiting for background programs to close before shutting. However I can't seem to find any programs, I've virus scanned-it says no virus, or spyware. once I closed the laptop as it was taking too long to shut down but when I later restarted it, it came on but the screen wasn't showing anything. It was after 3 hrs,that the power button shut it down, then it restarted well. Sometimes it doesn't also allow me to log into my e mail or library account, or send my mails to others. Just recently backed up files, seems to make no difference. emphasized textPls I really need advice, because I'm scared it might get worse. thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Download/Install and Run CCleaner from here enter link description here(FREE)

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

I would recommend that you look at the programs that may be running from the Notification Area (beside the clock on the Taskbar) for a program or utility that may be active. These are usually programs that start at boot up and run until the computer is shut down.

Exit all of the programs in that area and test to see if this solves the problem.

If that does not help, right click the Taskbar and select the Task Manager in the menu.

Click the Application Tab to see if any programs are active. If you find any, right click the program and select End Process from the menu.

Let us know what you find.

Like this post
demsodes

Likes # 0

On the notification area, I quit some programs, went on task manager-applications, and found only internet-pc advisor since am on-line,- doesn't seem to make any difference. I even did a system restore to an earlier date-it seems to have slowed down even further. thanks for the advice anyway.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This article from Microsoft Answers is a bit long winded but worth reading through. It may help you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes